Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Am I Overreacting?

This morning I was catching up on my blog reading and came across a posting from Trisha at A Crazy Little Thing Called Life that really struck a cord with me.  You can read the posting here.

Trisha is talking about a co-worker who is losing weight by not eating.  I think we all know someone who has tried all those crazy lose weight fast schemes (I've done them myself) but we also know the safest and healthiest way to lose weight and keep it off is by diet and exercise. 

Which brings me to the issue of my mother-in-law.  I posted a few days ago about my MIL moving in with us temporarily.  Not the best situation for anyone but one that is necessary at this time.  My MIL is a very beautiful, successful and tragically insecure person.  She has undergone a few plastic surgeries, had lasik done to her eyes a few times, does botox on a regular basis, and gets her hair and nails done weekly.  Not that any of that is bad in and of itself but when it is done in an effort to increase your self worth, it's sad.

My husband, who cooks dinner every night, has been a great support for me.  He has been preparing healthy meals for dinner and enough leftovers for my lunch the following day.  Because she is now living with us and eating with us she is well aware of my weight lose goals.

So last night she says she is going to Walgreen's and asks me to drive along with her.  So off we go to drop off her prescriptions and pick up vitamin C.  While in the store she calls me over to the aisle she is in and says "a lady I work with is drinking this juice that makes you lose weight.  She has lost 18 lbs. so I thought you might want to take a look at it".  Really.  A juice you buy at Walgreens that makes you lose weight.  Why doesn't the whole world know about this miracle juice! (insert sarcasm).

Somehow I'm taking this personal.  She tricked me into going to Walgreen's with her to try and get me to purchase this juice.  When I refused, she purchased it herself and put it in our refrigerator.  I'm upset and I am hurt.  I wish she would praise me for the weight I have lost so far and support me in my efforts to do this the healthy way.

So be brutally honest with me.  Am I overreacting?

6 comments:

  1. =( oh no! That's terrible. Don't pay her any mind. I would be just as hurt, but you know that we all support you doing it the healthy way. Tell her that if you drink that juice and lose weight whats gonna happen when you lose the weight and then stop drinking the juice? Losing it the healthy way is best! Keep your head high girl!

    <3 Katie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think you are overreacting at all but maybe in her mind she was trying to help. The only thing I can tell you to do is stick to what you hope to accomplish and how you plan to do it. There are no quick fixes in this world no matter what anyone promises. You are losing weight the right way, the healthy way and learning a new style of eating that you can stick to for the rest of your life, otherwise your just going to gain the weight right back. We are all proud of your weight loss so don't let her bother you so much. We all have people in our life that don't support us like we want them to and no matter what you say or do you aren't going to change them. You just stick with us we will get you through this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do not think you are overreacting at all!! :( I'd hide the juice (but I am mean like that! Tell her to do it the right way!!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. In HER way, she is trying to help you, at least that is what she thinks, but in reality she is subconsciously elevating her own self-worth. It's a BS gimmick, but based on what you said it seems like she likes the quick fixes. If she brings it up again, say you are losing weight the healthy way, by eating healthier, and going on a liquid diet is not a good idea. If she doesn't bring it up, ask her if she is drinking that stuff in the fridge, because if she isn't you need to use the room for the veggies or whatever you are going to cook with.

    Some people don't know that by not 'helping' that is the best help they can provide!

    Polar's Mom
    www.polarspage.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you everyone. You are right, she does think she is helping in her own way. The juice is just sitting in the fridge and it will stay there until she moves out. Then I'll ask her if she wants to take it with her! Hahahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  6. She is trying to help, but in a misguided way. She has no clue about the difficulty of losing weight. I suggest "fooling" her a little. Every day pour a little down the drain and tell her it's working great with what you are already doing. If she wants to buy more after that, so be it. It is wasteful, I suppose, but it will make her think she is helping.

    ReplyDelete