Tuesday, October 19, 2010

An Unpopular Decision

Just about the time I made the decision to get my health back and started this blog, I came down with a case of bronchitis that is just not going away!

The doctor initially prescribed antibiotics for one week and when that didn't help he prescribed another two weeks worth.  Three weeks worth of antibiotics and I'm still sick.  So a couple of days ago I made the decision to quit taking the medicine and will not be returning to the doctor.  This is a very unpopular decision with my family and friends.

I have stated before that there was a time in my life when I was very healthy. During that period I practiced meditation and yoga, I ate natural, healthy food and I exercised daily.  That all came to an end 5 years ago when we made a relocation back to Indiana and I fell into a mild depression.  I created the unhealthy situation that I find myself in and I believe this illness is my wake up call.

You see, deep inside, I believe that our bodies were made to heal themselves.  Yes, western medicine does have a place in assisting the body along but when illness lingers like this, I tend to think the healing properties we are naturally born with are "stuck".  The antibiotics have done all they can, it's up to me to help move myself towards wellness.

Luckily I have already begun eating healthy and cut all "junk" food from my life.  I have also begun taking 2000 mg of Vitamin C daily and started meditating daily again.  On my lunch hour today I put on my tennis shoes and did a slow walk around campus.  I felt like the sunshine and the beauty of the campus would do me good. 

My blog is focused on regaining my health and so, in addition to my weight loss, I'm setting new goals that will include incorporating meditation, vitamins, exercise and a general focus on my mind and spirit as well as my body. 

It's an unpopular decision with my family but one I know my online friends will support.

5 comments:

  1. Oddly enough, antibiotics, when on them long enough can start to harm you too! They start to attack good properties in your body as well as the negative ones! I am not against you stopping! Maybe going to a different doctor, and asking for a professional opinion? But I have stopped many medications in the past because I felt they were keeping me sick, and I got better. Now is it because I stopped, I can not say, is it from the meds already in my body, it is likely, but we all have limits to what we are willing to do. I hope you get better soon! Being sick is so lame! :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I applaud you for making this decision!! I whole heartily beleive that your body can heal itself. Good for you for stepping outside of the norm.

    Most of my decisions don't fly to well with my family either...they may "get it" one day !

    I like your new ticker ; ) You and I seem to want to lose about the same amount of weight !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you, for sticking to your guns! We know what our body needs. We just need to learn to LISTEN! I hope you get to feeling better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I support whatever decision you make and I do hope your body heals itself but if it doesn't and you seem to be getting worse instead of better I hope you would seek a second opinion. My mom gets bronchitis and she sounds so bad and they usually have to give her a few different medicines. I just don't want you to end up in a worse spot than you are right now. I'll be praying for you and hoping you get well soon.

    ReplyDelete

  5. PLEASE I DON'T WANT TO DISCLOSE MY IDENTITY BUT I MUST TESTIFY TO THE GREAT POWERS OF ADEDE SPIRITUALIST THE SPELL CASTER THAT BROUGHT BACK MY LOVER WITHIN 48HOURS. IF YOU NEED HIS HELP JUST CONTACT HIM AT: adedethegreatman@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete